Cathedral Grove

On a cool misty May morning while visiting Vancouver Island Ben took me to a place that he had raved about for years! Ben spent two years in British Columbia, Canada serving an LDS mission. Six months of that time he lived in Nanaimo and had the opportunity to explore the glorious wilderness of Vancouver Island.  So for ten years I heard him talk and talk about a special place where the trees where large, old and covered in hanging moss. 

Finally, for our tenth anniversary, Ben took me to Vancouver Island and gave me the chance to experience what his words could not do justice. 
Cathedral Grove
Cathedral Grove Trail
Wow, it was pretty. Mist hung low around the forest canopy as we walked the Cathedral Grove trail, taking time to breath in the fresh forest air, listen to the birds and discussing how certain trees had grown.  Being from Utah, I had never seen such a green place before. I almost didn't believe it.  

We looked at giant root systems, vibrant hanging green moss and trees that had grown out of the old stumps of other trees. For the most part we were the only people walking the Cathedral Trail that morning so naturally I was a little nervous about running in to a bear, cougar or wolf- there are signs all over the island about those animals! Ben thought I was being silly, but I still made plenty of noise to ensure that we wouldn't stumble upon an angry black bear.

Cathedral Grove, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Much to my relief, besides birds and insects we didn't run into any wildlife... well any dangerous wildlife that is! Look at this huge slimy fella!!!  ACK!  This banana slug was actually quite small, being only as long as Ben's index finger, for its kind. They can get to about 10 inches long!  We left the wiggly little dude alone, finding several more before our walk through the grove was finished.

Banana Slug

Nothing amazing or funny happened during our visit to Cathedral Grove, but I was left with feelings of inspiration and a new appreciation for life outside of my tiny comfort bubble. I'm so in awe by the beauty of this grove, this island and this earth. 

Cathedral Grove, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

TRAVEL, SMILE, REPEAT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The NCL Pearl

Portage Glacier

La Jolla Cove and Seal Rock