Portage Glacier


Cold air blew off the ice, whipping us in the face, as a small charter boat approached the arctic blue Portage Glacier.  Ben and I had left the comfort of our cruise ship, taken a tour bus an hour in land and were now face to face with a giant field of ice. Frigid wind whistled off the top of the glacier, slapping our cheeks as we stood in total awe at the power of nature. 

Portage Glacier, Alaska

Earlier that day, our cruise ship, the MS Maasdam docked in Anchorage, Alaska. We were excited to be in such an awesome city and even more excited to take a tour to Portage Lake where we would get to be up close to a glacier. 

I don't remember most of the drive to the lake since the gentle rumble of the bus put me to sleep.  Despite Ben's best attempts, I could not keep my eyes open (this is what hypothyroidism does to you).  He's told me that he saw several waterfalls, bald eagles (his favorite bird) and even passed a bay where he saw a whale. 

Portage Glacier Cruises
Finally, we arrived and I woke up.  I watched drops of rain trickle down the bus window while we waited to exit. It was cold. Fantastically cold! We pulled our rain jackets tight and prepared to board a charter boat. For the most part, tourists gathered in the interior, drinking complimentary coffee and hot chocolate, but not Ben and I. No, we headed up to the open deck.

Tour of Portage Lake and Glacier

There were waterfalls literally everywhere! Little ones, big ones, fast ones, and slow ones. Every time I turned I seemed to find a new one cascading down the mountainside. The rocky hills, carved by the many waterfalls, rose out of the lake, covered in bright green vegetation.  The lake water, composed of fresh water and melted glacier sediment, was calm and icy blue. 

Waterfalls draining into Portage Lake
As we sailed away a park ranger spoke to us about the geology of the area.  It was very interesting and informative.  People around us kept complaining that it was cold. I just pretended it was January in Cache Valley Utah, so it actually felt pretty warm to me. At least my nose hairs weren't freezing. 

Finally, we reached the peak of our tour. About 300 feet away, the boat turned its left side toward Portage Glacier.  The giant blue field of ice popped and cracked.  We could hear it moving! A thunderous rumble roared out as a huge chunk of the glacier broke off and splashed into the water. It was thrilling! 

Portage Glacier- Up Close

I watched the glacier fade away in the distance as we sailed back toward shore and soon became distracted with the next adventure of the day. However, I will never forget standing before Portage Glacier as it left a lasting impression on me.

Being so close to a glacier is hard to describe. The grandeur and sheer power of such an amazing force took my breath away, expanded my point of view and broadened my horizons.  

Portage Glacier
"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better"
-Albert Einstein 

TRAVEL, SMILE, REPEAT








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The NCL Pearl

La Jolla Cove and Seal Rock